Friendly talk

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Tue Sep 3 02:53:49 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-03 11:23, Guido Soranzio wrote:
> On Aug 29,David Strubbe-2 wrote:
>
>> What the advantages and disadvantages does Homebrew have with respect to MacPorts?
>

> If you are very passionate about Cocoa and dynamic languages, I think you
> can’t ignore Ruby and GitHub.

GitHub is just quite popular right now. About 10 years ago everybody
used sourceforge.net, now it is GitHub. I don't see the connection
between an interest in dynamic languages and a repository hosting provider.

> There’s a very vibrant community growing around the CocoaPods, a new
> package manager written in Ruby which allows to integrate hundreds of
> open source libraries and components in you Xcode projects.

Hm, a manager for source code of libraries seems different to what
MacPorts does.

> Forking and sharing you personal work is very easy in Homebrew and
> CocoaPods. You can also “tap” directly other personal repositories
> before their inclusion in the official trees.

You can do the same with MacPorts ever since. Although we only support
git for that now as of 2.2.0, but you could already use rsync, tarball
over HTTP/FTP, Subversion as well before. [1]

Although setup and documentation of this last step could be improved.
It's highly similar to these HOWTOs, just use a different URL:

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SyncingWithSVN
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/PortTreeTarball

Rainer

[1] Non-tarball HTTP/FTP downloads and the custom mports:// protocol are
still possible with 2.2.0, but are deprecated as they have been removed
from trunk already.