request for help (uberftp) ...

Peter Danecek Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it
Tue Sep 10 09:54:38 PDT 2013

I CC Dennis, the author of the globus-* port suite (e.g grid-packaging-tools, and globus-core) and ram, who seems to be particularly interested in globus stuff.

See below ..

~petr

On Sep 4, 2013, at 1:05 , Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2013, at 17:04, Peter Danecek wrote:

>>> First we should figure out if that's the correct thing to do.
>>>
>>> On your system this produces "gcc64pthr". Under what circumstances would it produce a different value?
>>
>> Actually this is inspired by the install guide to uberftp (see here: http://dims.ncsa.illinois.edu/set/uberftp/install.html) and at least on my Mac OS X 10.5 system this would produce gcc32pthr. But maybe you right and in the context of could just make a simple distinction between 32bit and 64bit systems.
>
> If it depends on the bitness, then you will want to base it off the ${build_arch} variable. And you'll have to decide how to handle the universal variant, since a universal build on modern systems means i386 and x86_64 -- 32-bit and 64-bit.

Well, I understood that in general the values for globus_flavor may vary somewhat, not only with bitness. On the other hand, the globus ports seem to limit this to only 2 values `gcc64pthr` and  `gcc32pthr`. So to base it on  ${build_arch} might be okay.

In the Portfile of `globus-core` I find the following at the very top:
--- snip ---
# -*- coding: utf-8; mode: tcl; tab-width: 4; indent-tabs-mode: nil; c-basic-offset: 4 -*- vim:fenc=utf-8:ft=tcl:et:sw=4:ts=4:sts=4
# $Id: Portfile 110696 2013-09-04 02:17:50Z ram at macports.org $

if {$build_arch == "x86_64" || $build_arch == "ppc64"} {
    set flavor gcc64pthr
    set enable64 yes
} else {
    set flavor gcc32pthr
    set enable64 no
}
[...]
--- snap ---

So, would this be the appropriate way to handle this in uberftp as well? I always assumed that Portfiles are supposed to start with the PortSystem line, but apparently I was wrong.

universal?
Not sure, how does `globus-*` ports solve this? Or do these bother at all? Is disabling universal builds an option?

Portfile attached for reference …