Of variants and revbumping.

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Mon Sep 16 10:54:58 PDT 2013

I'm preparing to commit the changes to mpich that have been discussed on
the mailing list [1] and a ticket [2].

I will revbump port that depend on mpich by default so new distributable
archives can be built.

But for other modified ports, I have a quick question of preferences:
should I revbump ports that optionally (and not by default) depend on
mpich, or just let rev-upgrade catch those?

For users installed without the specific (typically +mpich or +mpi) variant
selected, the revbump would be a gratuitous rebuild, even though the
Portfile has changed in the variant sections to select the newly supplied
bin/libs from mpich[-devel]-default...

I can go either way -- I'll be modifying the Portfiles already. Is
"rev-upgrade will catch it" an acceptable answer?

Thanks,
 Eric

[1]
https://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2013-August/024170.html