What is the good way to submit a port?

Sterling P. Smith smithsp at fusion.gat.com
Wed Sep 18 09:41:58 PDT 2013

+1; I've had these same questions.

-Sterling

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joël Brogniart" <Joel.Brogniart at laposte.net>
To: macports-dev at lists.macosforge.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:04:20 AM
Subject: What is the good way to submit a port?

Hello,

Excuse me if that's a recurrent question, but I'd like to know what is the best way or practice to submit a port.

More precisely, some time ago I made a submission with ticket number 37754 (a port for CPAN PERL module Role::Tiny). And some more submissions at that time. As I was (and still am) a newby, my submissions needed some adjustments. Later, the original tool evolved and I replaced the portfile in the same ticket. Now, a new version of the CPAN module is available and if I succed to install the new version on my local repository, I'll could update the portfile. The status of the port is "new".

With the new portfile, should I:
- add a patch to the initial portfile in the same ticket,
- replace the old portfile with the new portfile in the same ticket,
- add the new portfile in the same ticket (the ticket will have different portfile version),
- create a new ticket for the new portfile,
- wait until the original ticket is accepted and then propose a patch for port ?

I could leave with my local repository so don't loose your time if my question or those ports are not useful.

Other advice on how to tests ports before submissions are welcome.

Kindly,

Joël