Tcl version compatibility (was: Re: gsoc13-tests: src/macports1.0 errors)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Sep 25 03:38:17 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-25 10:50, Gustaf Neumann wrote:
> Am 24.09.13 18:39, schrieb Joshua Root:
>> On 2013-9-25 01:56 , Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>>> $ sw_vers -productVersion
>>> 10.5.8
>>> $ make test
>>> ===> making test in src/macports1.0
>>> /usr/bin/tclsh ./tests/test.tcl -nocolor
>>> extra characters after close-brace
>>>      while executing
>>> "set pwd [eval file join {*}[lrange [file split $pwd] 0 end-1]]
> most likely, the "eval" should be not here.
> Can we rely now on having a tclsh based on tcl 8.5?

So far we did not decide to deliberately break compatibility for older
Mac OS X versions with Tcl 8.4 only.

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard only has Tcl 8.4. If I recall correctly, Tcl 8.5
was introduced with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard.

I started a wiki page to document which Mac OS X versions shipped which
version of Tcl:

  https://trac.macports.org/wiki/TclVersionInfo

That would make it easier to identify which versions would become
officially unsupported if we switched to Tcl 8.5, excluding the
possibility to ship an integrated Tcl installation with MacPorts itself.

Rainer