CMake warning wrt frameworks during configure phase on Snow Leopard

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 25 15:32:24 PDT 2013

On Sep 25, 2013, at 16:42, Chris Jones wrote:

> Just a thought, but maybe updating to an Xcode 4 release, there is one for OSX 10.6, would fix things … Any reason to stay on Xcode 3 ?

Xcode 3.2.6 is the recommended version for Snow Leopard for MacPorts. It is the version our buildbot runs and thus the version that our precompiled packages are built with, and sometimes problems occur when packages are built with different Xcode versions, so it's best that you run the same version.

The reason 3.2.6 is recommended and the default is because it is the last free version of Xcode for Snow Leopard. Xcode 4.0, 4.1 and 4.2 are available for Snow Leopard only as part of the paid Mac developer program membership. Most users have not paid for such membership, therefore running Xcode 4 on Snow Leopard is a great way to run into problems most users have never seen before and may have difficulty solving. If you like that sort of challenge, go ahead, but most users will be better served on Snow Leopard by staying with 3.2.6.