CMake warning wrt frameworks during configure phase on Snow Leopard

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Wed Sep 25 15:59:25 PDT 2013

In article <E025E5D1-58D7-4A16-8910-67A5C46C982C at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>,
 Chris Jones <jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk>
 wrote:
> > The suggested fix in http://bugs.python.org/issue14018 is "to manually fix
> > the symlinks in /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk ..." !
> >
> > Hmmm... I don't know what and how to fix this.
>
> Any guide that is telling you to manually start fiddling with sym links in
> system areas, is a guide you should stay away from.

Normally, yes.  However, in this case, it really is a bug in the Xcode 3.2.6
installer and, IIRC, not in earlier versions of Xcode 3.2.x, and it really
breaks builds trying to use the SDK and to link from frameworks the user has
installed in /Library/Frameworks.  That really shouldn't be an issue for any
MacPorts ports, I would think.  It can be an issue for non-MacPorts Python
frameworks builds using the SDK, for example, if they try to link with
third-party Tcl and Tk frameworks because the Apple compiler drivers prepend
the SDK root path to searches for files in /Library/Frameworks.

In any case, assuming you haven't installed anything already the SDK Framework
directory, the (untested) fix should be:

cd /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/Library
sudo rm ./Frameworks/Frameworks
sudo rmdir ./Frameworks
sudo ln -s /Library/Frameworks ./Frameworks
sudo chmod 755 ./Frameworks

> Just a thought, but maybe updating to an Xcode 4 release, there is one for
> OSX 10.6, would fix things ... Any reason to stay on Xcode 3 ?

AFAIK, Xcode 4 for OS X 10.6 is no longer publicly available unless you
purchased it when it was available in the Mac Store or if you are a paid
member of the Mac Developer program.  It also drops support for PPC so you
can't build universal binaries for 10.6 or earlier systems with it that
include PPC.  And the most recent version was 4.2 which has an old version of
clang.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org