macports user ...

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Sep 27 08:23:14 PDT 2013

On 2013-09-27 16:54, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2013-9-28 00:45 , Peter Danecek wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have some doubt about the the user macports and how it is used exactly. From what I understood most operations when installing MacPorts are performed as macports user, files belong to macports user etc.
>>
>> Now I am trying to setup some new port and would need to do some manual testing, i.e. do some operation as macports user. I tried to su to macports user, but this would not work. Any trick how this should be done?
>
> sudo -u macports ...
>
> Actually I think su would work too, but you'd have to run it as root
> since there's no password.

su does not work as the macports user does not have a useful login shell:

 $ dscl . -read /Users/macports UserShell
 UserShell: /usr/bin/false

sudo -u macports should definitely work. In case it does not, check your
/etc/sudoers whether you have a configuration which would prevent to
switch to another user than root. The default on Mac OS X would allow
the group 'admin' to do everything ("%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL").

Rainer