environment variables ...

Peter Danecek Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it
Mon Sep 30 08:20:00 PDT 2013

On Sep 30, 2013, at 17:08 , Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> On 2013-10-1 00:17 , Peter Danecek wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am currently trying to setup a port. The "configure script" (not a standard GNU approach) does set makefile variables for CC, AR, PERL, etc., but does not respect the setting for environment variables.
>>
>> During configure phase macports sets such environment variables, right? In particular I am aware of the ones for the compilers to use. However, searching the documentation I have not found a comprehensive. Does such a list appear in the documentation / Wiki somewhere? Can anyone provide some pointer?
>>
>> I am particularly interested in
>> - CC / CCFLAGS / linker
>> - PERL
>> - RANDLIB / AR
>
> It's fairly well documented in portfile(7) under CONFIGURE OPTIONS and
> in the Guide: <http://guide.macports.org/#reference.phases.configure>.

You are right the documentation on the configure option is quite complete. The only think I could not find were the Environment variables themselves. But here the log output helps.

> As cal said you can directly check what's being passed by default by
> looking at the debug log. When dealing with non-autotools build systems
> you often need to use some different variable names though.

Well, if I am now understanding right, for perl, ar, randlib are not set to default values by macports. Is it save to point these to the systems provided versions with the absolute path?

something like:
  PERL=/usr/bin/perl
  AR=/usr/bin/ar
  RANDLIB=/usr/bin/randlib