Problem updating git-core

Thomas Lockhart tlockhart1976 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 10:01:54 PDT 2014

On 3/31/14 11:23 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2014, at 18:06, Thomas Lockhart wrote:
>
>> Has anyone else noticed a problem fetching the git tarball from kernel.org? I can do so successfully through my browser but it stalls with a zero-length .TMP file when trying to update the port. The update was prompted by running "selfupdate" then "upgrade outdated".
>>
>> I was hoping it was some misbehavior of kernel.org but this has been trouble for a couple of days now. Any suggestions for debugging this?
> That does sound like misbehavior of that server. Have you talked to them about it?
>
> MacPorts eventually gives up on servers that are delivering files too slowly, so if you just wait, it should eventually either finish downloading (if it’s just going slowly), or re-try from a different server.

I left it to try for more than an hour and for several shorter - but
still very long - intervals. I have not seen it give up yet and suspect
that whatever the failure mode is it is not getting detected by MacPorts
infrastructure.

I am not sure what to report to kernel.org since it downloads quickly
through my web browser (~30 seconds on my slow home connection and
faster elsewhere). I've tried this at least a couple of times with no
troubles, while the MacPorts download has failed consistently over a
dozen or so tries over three days now.

                                 - Tom