[118533] trunk/dports/net/pidgin/Portfile

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 16:53:42 PDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2014, at 18:05, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> > If they're pure perl then that might work; if there's any XS involved
> then a hard version dependency would be needed.
>
> How would we determine that?
> I don’t know enough about perl to know what “XS” means.

XS is Perl's extension mechanism. If there is non-perl code (C, C++, etc.)
involved with a module, there must be XS glue to hook it into perl; this
code will not be binary compatible with anything but the perl it was built
against, and may be source incompatible with different perl versions (I've
helped a few people in IRC who found that modules we'd been building
successfully against perl 5.12 got XS build errors against 5.16).

This may include upcalls back into a program such as irssi that supports
Perl extensions, since the upcalls will probably require XS glue unless the
interface was designed to use e.g. a socket to do remote procedure calls.