location of man pages for multiple versions of the same program

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Mon Apr 7 07:40:47 PDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 4:22 PM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 10:20 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>
>> I see that mysql55 for example installs man pages to
>>     $prefix/share/man/mysql55/man1/*.1.gz
>> where they are not really functional.
>>
>> Is that a proper place for these files? / Is there any better place?
>

> If you arrange for them to be in ../share/man or ../man when the private bin
> directory is in $PATH, they will automatically work. (This assumes there is
> a private bin directory and not just versioned binaries in /opt/local/bin.
> For something like mysql, there are going to be enough private binaries to
> make this a good idea.)

So if the binaries go to
    $prefix/libexec/<port>/<something>/
it would make sense to put the binaries to
    $prefix/libexec/<port>/<man>
?

It probably wouldn't be such a bad idea to create a script
$prefix/bin/<portname>-init<version>.sh which would prepend
$prefix/libexec/<port>/<something> to PATH. Or maybe simply create a
script like $prefix/libexec/<port>/<something>/usethisone.sh to do the
same. And then man pages would automatically work ...

That sounds reasonable/feasible. I forgot about this option.

Mojca

PS: I'm not talking about mysql. I just used mysql as examples and I'm
thinking loud about general principles/guidelines.