curious dependency issues

David Strubbe dstrubbe at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 15:14:12 PDT 2014

Ok, I think I see what is going on here: apparently "port installed
depends:XXX" returns all ports depending on port XXX -- OR a port that
contains the string XXX. This seems like a bug, and gives very misleading
information.
* "gcr" appears to depend on itself because it depends on "libgcrypt".
* "gtk3" appears to depend on "gconf" because it depends on "pkgconfig".
* If I write "port installed depends:a" (despite there being no port called
"a") I get 8636 ports returned.
* The list returned from "port installed depends:libxc" includes the
dependencies not only of "libxc" but also of the entirely unrelated
"xorg-libxcb", "xorg-libXcomposite", and "xorg-libXcursor".

David

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 6:01 PM, David Strubbe <dstrubbe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Indeed, evidently "depends:" does some strange things which "depof:" does
> not.
>
> Though "man port" does not define "depends:", it is recommended here:
> https://guide.macports.org/#using.common-tasks.finddepending
> By contrast, "depof:" does not seem to appear in the guide.
>
> David
>

> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 2:46 PM, Eric Gallager <egall at gwmail.gwu.edu>wrote:
>
>> I was under the impression that the "depends:" pseudo-portname and the
>> "depof:" portname were two separate things...
>>

>> On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 2:19 PM, David Strubbe <dstrubbe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Hm, I guess I got "depends:" from suggestions in messages on this
>>> list. Using "port installed depof:gcr" gcr is not listed, so that is more
>>> reasonable. "depof:gtk3" does not list gconf, and "depof:gconf" does list