Building clang/cling 3.5 for ROOT on Lion

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 8 01:06:10 PDT 2014

On 08/04/14 01:48, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 7, 2014, at 18:09, Christopher Jones wrote:
>
>> p.s. whats the most recent MacPorts clang compiler you can install on OSX10.7 ?
>
> clang 3.4 and earlier should build fine on 10.7.

Indeed. They aren't quite the same thing though in the end, as on OSX
10.8 and newer it supports c++11, whereas on 10.7 it doesn't, because of
the underlying system support. So the same clang34 compiler now builds
root6 fine on OSX10.9, but fails on 10.7.

My recollection of all the previous times c++11 has been discussed, can
be summarised as there is no obvious way to support it cleanly on older
OSX releases. So if an upstream package, as ROOT6 has, is actively only
targetting c++11 supporting compilers, then effectively these ports
cannot be used on older OSX releases now. Is that correct, or am I being
overly pessimistic here ?

cheers Chris