Building clang/cling 3.5 for ROOT on Lion

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Apr 8 05:24:50 PDT 2014

On Apr 8, 2014, at 07:13, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 1:55 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>> The point is you wouldn’t be mixing C++ runtimes. On 10.8 and earlier, the C++ runtime is libstdc++, just as gcc48’s is. They’re different versions of libstdc++, but sometimes they’re similar enough to still work together.
>
> Does that mean that it makes sense to report bugs/problems when
> binaries compiled with gcc48 crash (or when compilation crashes)?
> Would anyone care at all to look into these problems?
>
> Or just that it's worth trying ... and not be disappointed in case of problems?

I’d say the latter. Whereas mixing libc++ and libstdc++ fails at compiling already, miking Apple’s old libstdc++ and gcc48’s new libstdc++ may work, or it may cause crashes; if the latter, that’s just the way it is.

> Mojca
>
> PS: It's not an issue of me personally upgrading the OS. I'll do that
> sooner or later. But it would be slightly suboptimal if the port only
> worked on 10.9.

Personally, I feel that the cleanest solution is that C++11 code requires OS X 10.9 or later, unfortunately.