Puzzling inconsistency regarding dep

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Apr 13 12:12:39 PDT 2014

On 2014-4-14 02:31 , MK-MacPorts at techno.ms wrote:
> On 13 Apr 2014, at 18:01 , Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Well, this is still highlighting an inconsistency.
> Yes, right you are, otherwise I wouldn’t have stumbled over it.

I don't think it's inconsistent, the information being expressed is just
inherently complicated. (When you ask "What depends on this port?" do
you mean what needs it now? Or what may need it at some point? And so on...)

>> In this case, I think it's between the actual record of dependencies in the package registry (produced by actually installing something) and the pre-recorded list of dependencies in the package index (usually downloaded along with the port tree)? That, or rdeps just ignores anything that isn't a runtime dependency.
> Well, that should be clarified, I think, otherwise it might lead over and over again to posts like mine. :-)
> Perhaps a warning message would be nice and perhaps an option to enable/disable searching for only-runtime deps.

What would this warning say, and where would it go? And have you read
the help for port rdeps?

- Josh