Puzzling inconsistency regarding dep

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sun Apr 13 17:07:46 PDT 2014

Hi,

> On 14 Apr 2014, at 01:52 , Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> > By definition, a build dependency isn’t needed at runtime, so you wouldn’t
> > distribute it, so you wouldn’t care about build dependencies’
> > distributability, would you?
>
> Hmmm, you’ve got your point.
> When I was writing those lines I awaited this kind of a response… I am
> paddling back. :-)

Acutally, that's not correct. Static libraries are only build dependencies, but
they affect distributability of the generated packages. That's why MacPorts by
default includes build dependencies in the license conflict check and requires
you to
 - specify installs_libs no in the build dependency, or
 - add the build dependency to license_noconflict.

--
Clemens Lang