new ports and maintainer

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Aug 8 20:59:46 PDT 2014

On Aug 8, 2014, at 9:30 AM, Sean Farley wrote:

> One of my points is that there is no
> real difference between 'openmaintainer' and 'nomaintainer'. One has
> other devs listed, the other does not, so why not combine the names?
> It's easy enough to see that if 'openmaintainer' is listed and no one
> else listed, then that port has no actual maintainer.

It is much easier to find unmaintained ports by searching for "nomaintainer". For example, as I work through the perl ports adding 5.18 and 5.20 to the supported branches, I'm beginning by working on those that are not maintained:

port echo name:^p5- and maintainer:nomaintainer

How would you produce that list if "nomaintainer" and "openmaintainer" were combined into a single value?

My reason for working on nomaintainer ports first, before openmaintainer ports, is that openmaintainer ports are theoretically being maintained by others who might take care of the issues before I get a chance to look at them, thus saving me time.