checking for variant behaviour

Mark Brethen mark.brethen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 17:29:55 PDT 2014

On Aug 9, 2014, at 11:13 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2014, at 2:09 PM, Mark Brethen wrote:
>
>> On Aug 8, 2014, at 10:53 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Coin's aqua variant is problematic because it completely changes where are installed. There should instead be a Coin-framework subport which installs the framework version and the main Coin port can install just the non-framework version. Then ports like SoQt that need the framework version can depend on it by name.
>>
>> Talking with the Coin developers, they are moving to the framework version on mac os.
>
> Ok, so then we should make the Coin port do what the aqua variant does all the time and remove the aqua variant. And then rebuild all ports using Coin (which is fortunately not that many) and make sure they still work this way. There's also the option of doing both at once, like the qt4-mac port does: install a framework, but also install symlinks at the old non-framework locations.

A search turned up only 3 ports:

brethen-mbp:Downloads marbre$ port search --depends Coin
Quarter @1.0.0_5 (graphics, devel)
    integrates Coin and Qt

SoQt @1.5.0 (graphics, devel)
    SoQt is a Qt GUI component toolkit library for Coin.

SoXt @1.2.2_2 (x11, graphics, devel)
    Xt/Motif glue library for Coin

Found 3 ports.

SoXt is a GUI binding for using Open Inventor with Xt/Motif and has been developed for use with Coin and the "ancient" qt4-x11. Any reason to keep it around?

By default, Coin, SoQt and Quarter are set up as Mac OS X framework. I think these ports should do the same. If you can think of a very good reason to install them as non-framework, that should be a variant.

Mark