[123673] trunk/base/src

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Tue Aug 12 05:04:25 PDT 2014

Hi,

> Of course, a sure fire approach would be to see if Berry would be
> willing to assign any copyright interest he might have in the code
> to The MacPorts Project.

That might be the case for US jurisdictions, but not for the EU. For
example, as a German citizen, I cannot assign my copyright – it will
always be mine. I can grant usage rights, but that's different.

Of course other organizations (such as, e.g., the GNU project) do it
anyway – I'm just saying if we're going to open that can of worms,
we can either
 (a) do it the full-blown way, employ a few lawyers across borders,
     draft a document and have everybody submit that before
     accepting patches. I think this would considerably slow down
     our (already slow) processes.
 (b) continue to ignore the issue as we have so far in the interest
     of simplicity.
Obviously (a) would be the correct thing to do. Unfortunately,
"correct" costs time, and eats up more of the time we could use to
get stuff done that actually matters.

So, if you care enough about the issue, feel free to revert the
change. Cc'ing jberry, because, if any, his rights are being
violated here.

--
Clemens Lang