Perl changes (+ please wait a bit with commits in perl modules if possible)

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Aug 12 08:22:14 PDT 2014

On Aug 12, 2014, at 11:19 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Aug 12, 2014, at 10:15 AM, Daniel J. Luke <dluke at geeklair.net> wrote:
>>
>> I'm just saying, it's a /lot/ of effort to do this for p5.8-p5.20 ports when it could be reduced (somewhat) by just working on p5.20... (and deprecating/removing everything else).
>
> It seems to me an order of magnitude more effort to reduce everything to "one perl" right now. I foresee each module port needing to be manually edited, plus overhauling the perl5 portgroup. Mojca's current proposal only requires revbumping each port, which can be automated to some degree.

that's pretty much why we're in the situation we are now - we just continue with the current setup because it's 'easier'. Someone puts a bunch of effort into making things work with a newer (but never the current) perl, and then dev stops and we do the same dance later (but with even more perls).

--
Daniel J. Luke