Perl changes (+ please wait a bit with commits in perl modules if possible)

Frank Schima mf2k at macports.org
Tue Aug 12 09:37:48 PDT 2014

On Aug 12, 2014, at 8:45 AM, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>> On Aug 12, 2014, at 10:15 AM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>>>
>>> Other than that I can definitely create a new branch to simplify
>>> testing and add the same patch to all perl versions. But the request
>>> to wait with updates a bit (unless it's really really really needed)
>>> still stands.
>>
>> you could create a branch with just the most recent upstream perl (currently perl5.20.0) and interested parties could test that maybe?
>>
>> probably simpler than trying to do stuff for each of the perl5 versions we currently have (and hopefully gets us to 'one perl' more quickly?)
>
> I would say "let's solve one problem at a time". At this time I
> believe it will be least painful and most efficient to simply add 5.18
> and 5.20 to all modules. But before this is added I would *really*
> like to get rid of the subrelease number(s).
>
> Then we can make Perl 5.20 default (just to confuse everyone working
> on https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44405) etc.

For the record, I have no problem with superseding this ticket with a new one to move to perl 5.20 when we get all of the p5.20 ports working.

> Btw: some modules like p5-wx are broken in Perl 5.20. Having 5.18
> available may help in such situations.

p5-pdl is broken on both p5.18 and p5.20. Hopefully we can just get everything working on p5.20 to move forward.

Here are the related tickets that, as far as I know, are holding up the move to p5.20.

 - #44416 - p5-wx <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/44416>
 - #44439 - p5-pdl <http://trac.macports.org/ticket/44439>

Cheers!
Frank