Perl changes (+ please wait a bit with commits in perl modules if possible)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Aug 12 11:44:08 PDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM, David Evans wrote:
> On 8/12/14 9:30 AM, Frank Schima wrote:
>>
>> I see no reason to change perl 5.16 or lower because they are already working. Let’s just look forward to 5.18 and 5.20. Even if 5.18 is a lame duck already.
>>
>> For me, the only thing holding up moving to perl 5.20 is p5.20-pdo, 5.20-wx and possibly a few others that work fine with p5.16.
>
> Sounds good to me.  If we can agree on this, then maybe we can move on and
> make some progress.  Otherwise, 5.22 may be out before we make a
> decision

After this discussion I also have a feeling that in the spirit of
"don't fix something that isn't broken" it might be better to leave
5.16 (and lower) intact. The change isn't all that well tested after
all. If I only change 5.18 and if we find some problems, we can easily
fix those without hard pressure. If we break something in 5.16, we'll
probably break just about everyone's installation and will need to
rush to fix any problems that might arise.

Since 5.16 isn't going to see a new release and given that the change
doesn't really bring any new functionality to the table (just
potentially causes unexpected problems), it might be better to leave
it as is.

So basically I'm ready to commit
    https://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/43480/perl5.18-remove-subrelease.2.2.diff
Testing is welcome, but I wouldn't like to wait too long before
committing, so that we could continue working on the rest of the
tasks. After all everyone will still have a working 5.16 version
installed as the worst case scenario ;)

I tried installing all ports that I modified. I didn't do extensive
checks on missing dependencies. With most of the ports I didn't run
the tests (if there was an automated way to do it, I probably would
have done it). I had problems upgrading p5-inline, p5-perlmagick and
p5-const-fast, so I just revbumbed them and kept them at the old
versions. Other ports that failed are listed in the ticket (there
weren't many).

Mojca