Usage of the term MacPorts (was: Topological sorting of perl modules)

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Wed Aug 13 09:30:23 PDT 2014

On Aug 13, 2014, at 6:45 AM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> If we were talking about portmgr then I would agree. But I don't think
> MacPorts is a collective noun, it's a proper noun denoting a single
> project. That the name has a plural form probably confuses the issue
> further.

I don't know, I think one could make a good case for sentences like:
- "MacPorts are crazy for using Tcl."
- "MacPorts are debating a strategy to handle the Crisis of Infinite Perls."

But, to emphasize the singularity of the project:
- "MacPorts is split on Subversion versus Git versus Mercurial versus timestamped folders."

And, of course, references to the software itself should be singular:
- "MacPorts compels me to imbibe liberally."

In the end, these all sound insane because I'm American.

vq