Remove p5.8 and p5.10

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 09:24:18 PDT 2014

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 11:45 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> Check my work, but it looks like there aren't any ports that depend on
> p5.8 or p5.10 versions of modules (other than other p5.8 and p5.10 modules
> of course):

This caused me to check something and find a potential (but perhaps not
practical) issue:

    pyanfar:10007 Z$ port echo rdepof:ghc | grep perl
    perl5
    perl5.16

One of the reasons perl5.8 was still in the tree is that if you use ghc
-fvia-C, it uses a perl script which, last I checked, does not work in perl
5.10 and later; the above dependency output looks like someone replaced the
hard dependency with one on the perl5 port and thereby whatever default
Perl is selected via variants.

Practically, however, -fvia-C has been deprecated for many years and is
only retained for porting ghc to other platforms. Also, the Perl script in
question does essentially nothing on MacPorts supported platforms (I think
the only platforms it does anything on are SPARC and Alpha); I think it
fails "safely" elsewhere, so the version restriction is not relevant. I
would have to verify this, though.