Remove p5.8 and p5.10

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Aug 14 10:43:28 PDT 2014

Jeffrey Johnson wrote:

>>> Later we could remove perl5.8 and perl5.10, though at present some ports still depend on them:
>>>
>>> $ port echo depends:perl5.8 and not name:^p5.8
>>> subversion-perlbindings-5.8
>>> rpm
>>> rpm45
>>> rpm50
>>> rpm51
>>> rpm52
>>> rpm53
>>> $ port echo depends:perl5.10 and not name:^p5.10
>>> subversion-perlbindings-5.10
>>> $
>>
>> I totally agree that we should remove perl 5.8 and 5.10 as soon as reasonably possible.

I don't think there's anything in those ports blocking that,
if you want to get rid of older perl versions for some reason.

It's more of a "perl5" requirement than anything (AFAIK),
just that MacPorts didn't have that feature way back then...

>> The rpm53 port already has a perl5_12 variant that can be used. These ports appear very out of date and I doubt anyone uses them. rpm53 also depends on python25! I believe all the RPM ports below rpm53 should be removed. We could ping the maintainers (CC’ed to this email).
>>
>> Anders, n3npq: Any thoughts on this?
>>

> Sure: rpm45 is ancient, rpm53 is in "production" use
> use several years now (on linux, and under CI on my Mac's),
> rpm54 is up to rpm-5.4.15. The rpm51 port has been out
> for years, quite portable and stable. Dunno what value there is
> in having multiple versions.

MacPorts has multiple versions of absolutely everything,
including versions of things that Apple already have too...

We used to have "rpm" around because it worked with the
"port rpm" target, while noone bothered to update base
to work with newer versions (then again there was not much
done about the 4.4 version either so doesn't really matter)

> Get rid of the old "stuff" and consolidate imho. That is a political issue
> that neither Anders nor I can meaningfully solve.

There was the occasional bug report, but no portmgr decisions.
Now that MacPorts doesn't do .rpm, it can all just be removed.
That would get rid of the Berkeley DB ports too, that "nobody"
is using besides RPM. And of course all of the yum stuff too.

> Anders has been doing all the macports (and *bsd) maintenance so its largely his
> call what (or if) he chooses to maintain with rpm. I've largely stayed out of the
> decision making processes because (as a developer) I'm more
> interested in deploying "features"

I updated it to 5.2.1, then it was only occasional updates.

You can probably remove it too, and start over with 5.4...

--anders