[123889] trunk/base/doc

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Fri Aug 15 15:01:59 PDT 2014

Hi,

> Great work on the continuing documentation saga! Thanks.

Had a little offline time today. Turns out that's a good time to write some
docs :)

> I would remove the comma before the "or". Also note that the mpkg target
> creates a .mpkg file. The mdmg target still creates a .dmg file; there is no
> .mdmg file extension.

> I think it would be clearer to say that *port pkg* creates an installer
> package for installing the port's files, and that *port dmg* creates a disk
> image containing such an installer package. And then mention similarly mpkg,
> and mdmg containing the mpkg. We also need a mention that on OS X 10.6 and
> later the pkg and mpkg are in "flat" format, such that wrapping them in a
> dmg is no longer needed for online distribution (which is the reason why
> previously dmgs were used).

Thanks, I didn't know that. I think your points are addressed in r123900.

> Not sure if worth mentioning, but "port echo" will print anything you give
> it, even if it's not a valid port name:

Good catch, I wanted to mention that but forgot about it later. r123902.

> Should be "homepage" (not "homepage(s)"); we don't support multiple homepages
> per port. (Just tried it; MacPorts combines all homepages with a space and
> tries to launch that single URL.)

r123904.

> You can use a comma before the "and" or "or" (the "Oxford comma") when there
> are three or more items in the list, but not with just two; it looks weird.
> But I'd actually just remove the "or" since the list of arguments doesn't
> need to read like a sentence.

Thanks, I'll remember that.
Also in r123904.

As always, thank you for your thorough review. Always helpful to know a native
speaker checks my writing.

--
Clemens Lang