Configuration file location (Was: An update on 'port reclaim' and 'port doctor')

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Sun Aug 31 20:24:58 PDT 2014

On Aug 31, 2014, at 6:09 PM, Kyle Sammons <goodkingkyle at gmail.com> wrote:

> In all honesty, I'm not sure if putting it in etc rather than var is a better decision. I'll have to ask around and see if that'd fit the file structure for MacPorts better.

By overwhelming convention, *nix systems use /etc for configuration files and /var for variable-content files (e.g., logs, temporary/transient files, spool files).

    - OS X: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man7/hier.7.html
    - FHS: http://refspecs.linuxfoundation.org/FHS_2.3/fhs-2.3.html
    - Debian: http://manpages.debian.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=hier
    - Fedora: http://linuxmanpages.net/manpages/fedora16/man7/hier.7.html
    - OpenBSD: http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi/OpenBSD-current/man7/hier.7
    - Solaris: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19253-01/816-5175/6mbba7evv/index.html

And all of MacPorts' other configuration files are in ${prefix}/etc/macports by default.

vq