Building all ports when setting up a new buildbot builder

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Dec 2 20:34:13 PST 2014

On Dec 2, 2014, at 9:42 PM, Joshua Root wrote:

> On 2014-12-3 13:38 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> No, it won't. You can't use regexes and it's not a list of port names,
>>> it's a list of portdirs.
>>
>> I see. But somehow the special keyword "all" is being handled; I assumed it was being passed on to `port` and that we could use any of the port-selection methods `port` allows. Is there a reason why it was not done that way?
>
> Because MPAB does a lot more than just run 'port install <something>'.

The mpab readme, which is admittedly 4 years old and possibly outdated or completely inaccurate by now, shows an example of getting a list of ports by running a `port` command:

> To build only a certain set of ports you need a file containing the
> list of the port names. The `port list' command adds more information
> than you want here, like version and category.  To create an list for
> mpab consumption, you can use something like this:
>
>   port echo maintainer:YOURNAME > own_ports
>
> and then
>
>   sudo ./mpab buildports own_ports

If that works, then it should also be able to handle:

  port echo name:^[0-9a-d] > own_ports
  sudo ./mpab buildports own_ports

>> On Dec 2, 2014, at 8:40 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>>
>>> (and maybe also set things up to upload archives as they become available?)
>>
>> I don't know what that would involve, having not looked at the buildbot infrastructure that much. I just know that from the buildbot web interface, it's clear that uploading archives is currently implemented as a separate step, after building. (In fact, gathering archives is another separate step, currently.) So putting the gathering and uploading steps into the building step would involve rearranging some code.
>
> It has to be a separate step if we use buildbot's built-in support for
> uploading files.

Though it's probably not too difficult to write a couple lines using curl to upload files manually.