Building all ports when setting up a new buildbot builder

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Dec 3 22:37:37 PST 2014

On Dec 3, 2014, at 9:58 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2014, at 10:37 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Is there a reason not to extend these scripts to support all the MacPorts selectors?
>
> probably not, but -
>
> we rarely use 'all'
> 'all' should work without random workarounds

Yes but it doesn't right now, and failure only occurred after 99 hours. It is the kind of problem where it would take a long time before you knew if a change you made had fixed anything, and even then you might not know if a full build of "all" would work, since we have at this point already built thousands of ports which reduces the amount of work that a full "all" build would do.

And as I said, any buildbot build does not upload any created archives until after everything is done building. That's not optimal when building everything takes weeks. So we either build smaller batches of ports, or in addition to whatever it takes to fix building all ports, we change how builds work so that they upload each archive after it's built.

> is there a compelling reason to use those other selectors except as a workaround for 'all' failing?

I remember trying to use this in the past but I don't recall why. It was just unexpected that it didn't work.