[129141] trunk/dports/editors/NERD_tree/Portfile

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Dec 7 11:48:45 PST 2014

On 2014-12-8 05:38 , Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
> Why is this port obsolete? Does it not work? Has upstream development ceased?

See the discussion in the ticket.

> What do you mean "there are better ways of installing vim plugins"? One
> could say the same thing about Python/Perl/PHP/Ruby modules, but we
> still have ports for those.

To use the specific example of python modules, in cases where you can
just use pip and virtualenv, it's probably a better use of everyone's
time if you do that rather than make a port. But there are python
modules that depend on things that can't be installed with pip, and
things that can't be installed with pip that depend on python modules.
Those are the cases where we should have ports for python modules.

> If you're going to prevent installation, you might as well just delete the port. The reason we keep obsolete ports around for a year is to give users a chance to upgrade to the replacement. This port has no replacement, so keeping it around serves no purpose.

Correct.

- Josh