[129167] trunk/dports/lang/gcc48/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 8 01:51:42 PST 2014

On Dec 8, 2014, at 2:39 AM, Andrea D'Amore wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 9:30 AM, Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure that the pkgconfig port is not required here. Please remove
>> the dependency.
>
>> Modified: trunk/dports/lang/gcc48/Portfile (129166 => 129167)
> […]
>> +                    port:pkgconfig
>
> I inferred the port was going to use pkg-config since there are two
> dependencies of type file on pkg-config files, isn't that correct?

No, that is not correct.

> If not what's the purpose of those two "path:" dependencies?

The purpose is to allow either the stable or the development version of the dependency to be installed.

For example, the dependency "path:lib/pkgconfig/cloog-isl.pc:cloog" means if the file ${prefix}/lib/pkgconfig/cloog-isl.pc already exists, then the dependency is satisfied. Otherwise, the cloog port will be installed, which is expected to provide that file. A user who wishes to use the development version can install cloog-devel beforehand instead, which would also satisfy the dependency.

It does not matter which file is listed between "path:" and ":cloog", as long as it is a file provided by both ports. It could just as easily be a dylib, a binary, a header, a readme, or any other file. But it should be a file that is not expected to be renamed, moved or deleted in the lifetime of the software, which makes pkg-config .pc files seem like one of the better candidates for this.