port activate ignores multiple installed versions and variants of inactive dependents

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Thu Dec 11 11:51:13 PST 2014

On Dec 10, 2014, at 12:19 AM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> On Dec 9, 2014, at 1:21 PM, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>
>> Is this behavior by design?
>>
>> $ sudo port -q deactivate sqlgrey postfix
>> --->  Deactivating sqlgrey @1.8.0-rc2_2+mysql+perl5_20
>> --->  Deactivating postfix @2.11.3_0
>> $ sudo port -q activate sqlgrey postfix
>> --->  Computing dependencies for sqlgrey
>> --->  Dependencies to be installed: postfix
>> --->  Activating postfix @2.11.3_0
>> --->  Activating sqlgrey @1.8.0-rc2_2+mysql+perl5_20
>> --->  The following versions of postfix are currently installed:
>> --->      postfix @2.11.2_0
>> --->      postfix @2.11.3_0 (active)
>> --->      postfix @2.11.3_0+dovecot_sasl+mariadb
>> Error: port activate failed: Registry error: Please specify the full version as recorded in the port registry.
>
> It looks expected, in so far as you have multiple versions of postfix installed, asked MacPorts to activate postfix, and did not specify which one you wanted to activate.

Right, with sqlgrey and multiple postfix versions installed and inactive why does port not ask me which postfix version to activate when activating sqlgrey?

If "port activate postfix" requires me to specify a version then why wouldn't activation via dependency also ask?

$ port installed postfix sqlgrey
  postfix @2.11.2_0
  postfix @2.11.3_0
  postfix @2.11.3_0+dovecot_sasl+mariadb
  sqlgrey @1.8.0-rc2_2+mysql+perl5_20
$ sudo port -q activate postfix
--->  The following versions of postfix are currently installed:
--->      postfix @2.11.2_0
--->      postfix @2.11.3_0
--->      postfix @2.11.3_0+dovecot_sasl+mariadb
Error: port activate failed: Registry error: Please specify the full version as recorded in the port registry.
$ sudo port -q activate sqlgrey
--->  Computing dependencies for sqlgrey
--->  Dependencies to be installed: postfix
--->  Activating postfix @2.11.3_0
--->  Activating sqlgrey @1.8.0-rc2_2+mysql+perl5_20
$ port installed postfix sqlgrey
  postfix @2.11.2_0