port activate ignores multiple installed versions and variants of inactive dependents

Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org
Thu Dec 11 15:27:03 PST 2014

On Dec 11, 2014, at 1:46 PM, Clemens Lang <cal at macports.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> ----- On 11 Dec, 2014, at 22:31, Bradley Giesbrecht pixilla at macports.org wrote:
>
>> If installation/activation of ports via dependency ignores installed inactive
>> versions I think this a bug in base.
>>
>> Shouldn't dependency installation take into consideration multiple inactive
>> versions as "port activate" does?
>
> No. There is a reason why we always upgrade dependencies first. Installing a
> port always requires all dependencies to be at the latest state. If we didn't
> do that we'd either need versioned dependencies, or rev-bumps would be
> pointless.

All ports were already at the current version, there was no upgrade.

> Without checking active versions before and after activation this user workflow
>> could be dangerous:
>> $ sudo port -q deactivate sqlgrey postfix
>> $ sudo port -q activate sqlgrey
>
> Dangerous in that you might end up with a more recent version of postfix than you
> had before, yes. I don't think this is a very dangerous situation – in fact I
> think the exact opposite situation might actually be more dangerous.

There were two current versions of the same port with differing variants:
--->      postfix @2.11.3_0
--->      postfix @2.11.3_0+dovecot_sasl+mariadb

I was surprised that "port activate postfix" asked for a specific version+variant while "port activate sqlgrey" was happy to suck in the default postfix.

This is an edge case, I accept the status quo.

Regards,
Bradley Giesbrecht (pixilla)