port doctor patch

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sat Dec 13 16:07:09 PST 2014

Hi,

> It still works since I’m using sudo.

Well, MacPorts doesn't, it drops privileges while building. It's possible the
test should be doing that as well and fails to do it, in which case it should
be fixed.

> If I try to use ‘port doctor’ I get
> "Error: Insufficient privileges to write to MacPorts install prefix.”
>
> I can generate the “cache error” if I do "clang test.c -o main_test “ from the
> command-line.
>
> I’m not clear on what system setup having this test in doctor is worthwhile.

See above. The test might be missing a priv drop.

> It should be using the system *C compiler*, which may or may not be clang.

The bug is clang-specific. The test can be skipped if the system C compiler isn't
clang – but that does not mean /usr/bin/clang won't be affected by the problem,
so I'm all for using /usr/bin/clang for the test if it exists, and skip it
otherwise.

--
Clemens Lang