Removing extraneous files on buildbots that block activation

David Evans devans at macports.org
Sun Dec 14 20:46:50 PST 2014

I've seen a number of instances recently on the buildbots where a port
fails on activation because of extraneous files left in the installation
tree by some previous failure.

My most recent example is py27-cython on buildports-snowleopard-x86_64:
> Error: org.macports.activate for port py27-cython returned: Image error: /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/cygdb already exists and does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to activate port py27-cython. Use 'port -f activate py27-cython' to force the activation.
> DEBUG: Error code: registry::image-error
> DEBUG: Backtrace: Image error: /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/cygdb already exists and does not belong to a registered port.  Unable to activate port py27-cython. Use 'port -f activate py27-cython' to force the activation.
Typically this is occurs when the activation process is interrupted
before completion and is fixed by manually forcing the activation and
removing the offending file(s) that are moved aside in the process.

Is there any way of fixing these problems on the buildbots as they occur
(or maybe when the buildbot is restarted) without resorting to manual
intervention by a sysadmin?

Dave