[MacPorts] Migration modified

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 15 12:45:00 PST 2014

On Dec 15, 2014, at 2:17 PM, Dave Yost wrote:

> The message below reminds me of a feature I think would be useful and might help with the problem he mentions: MacPorts could output a minimal list of ports which when installed would result in the same set of ports as currently installed, in other words a list of the ports upon which none of the others depend.

I think this would be "leaves" in MacPorts:

port -v installed leaves

However, if you just recorded the leaves, then uninstalled all ports, then reinstalled just the leaves, you might not get the same ports as you have before, for reasons such as:

- you previously selected a non-default variant of one of the dependencies
- the default variant of one of the dependencies changed since you last installed it

If I understand correctly, the currently documented migration procedure is designed to reinstall the same ports that you had before, including any variant selections.