clang-3.6 build failure

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Mon Dec 22 09:43:46 PST 2014

> On Dec 22, 2014, at 9:29 AM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> clang: error: unable to execute command: Segmentation fault: 11

So your bootstrap complier is broken.

Sorry, but I'm not going to investigate this failure further unless you also experience it with a valid configuration. (I strongly suspect Jeremy won't either.)

Put xcrun and xcodebuild back, set your active developer directory to Xcode, and try building again.

> What I meant here is that I assume that using xcodebuild/xcrun to build an Xcode project uses the same tools as doing the build in the IDE.

No, xcrun uses the tools that are in your active developer directory.

>> What "batch version"? Do you mean the /usr/bin shims? Those point to whatever `xcode-select` says to point to. You can see what's going on for yourself:
>>
>>    % echo 'int main(void) {}' | /usr/bin/clang -v -x c -o /dev/null -
>
> Well, invoking /usr/bin/clang directly will of course use the CLT version.

No. As I said, invoking /usr/bin/clang invokes the compiler in your active tools directory. (I think. It could hypothetically use the compiler selected by `xcrun`, but I've never butchered `xcrun` to do the wrong thing.)

vq
Sent from my iPhone