clang-3.6 build failure

Lawrence Velázquez larryv at macports.org
Mon Dec 22 12:33:44 PST 2014

On Dec 22, 2014, at 2:46 PM, René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday December 22 2014 12:43:46 Lawrence Velázquez wrote:
>
>> (I think. It could hypothetically use the compiler selected by `xcrun`, but I've never butchered `xcrun` to do the wrong thing.)
>
> Actually, it's doing the right thing. The xc in xcrun stand for Xcode, not for Command Line Utilities, so it could be argued that my wrapper in fact corrects an erratic behaviour. O:-)

Sorry, but no. Read the xcrun(1) man page. Despite its name (which you're reading way too much into), it's intended to invoke the tools in the "active developer directory". It's intended to let developers switch between toolchains easily, whether those toolchains come from Xcode stable or Xcode beta or the CLT.

Instead of breaking xcrun and xcodebuild, you'd probably be better off with judicious use of the DEVELOPER_DIR, SDKROOT, and TOOLCHAINS environment variables. These are described in xcrun(1).

> If no one is interested in getting clang to build without using Xcode

It's LLVM upstream that actively moved towards requiring an OS X SDK (and thus Xcode) on Darwin. That's not really a wave I'm interested in swimming against.

vq