[MacPorts] Migration modified

Russell Jones russell.jones at physics.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 23 07:29:51 PST 2014

On 15/12/14 09:38, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> For comparison: while theoretically possible, it's generally not
> advised to update an Ubuntu or Debian release by simply changing the
> repository definitions and letting apt figure things out. R.
Actually, Ubuntu provide do-release-upgrade (and a GUI equivalent) to do
pretty much that, and Debian provide apt-get dist-upgrade to do exactly
that, unless I'm missing something-- though I've upgraded three or more
versions of Debian in succession that way without problems. Potato ->
Woody -> Sarge, IIRC (after that I moved to Ubuntu and mostly use Debian
in VMs). A clean install is better (sometimes an older subsystem is
still available in the newer distro version, but a newer one would be
better and is installed with a fresh install), but it does work. See
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#upgrading-full

Russell