setuuid/setguuid

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 02:47:11 PST 2014

On 24/12/2014, at 9:27 PM, René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> On Wednesday December 24 2014 21:16:54 Ian Wadham wrote:
>> The code always seems to work OK if the crash procedure in the failed
>> program starts Dr Konqi by forking.  But it never works (on Apple OS X)
>> if the crash procedure contacts an independent process (kdeinit4) via
>> a socket and asks kdeinit4 to run Dr Konqi.  Starting via kdeinit4 is
>> preferred to forking, in case the crashed program has a corrupted
>> heap or whatever.
>
> And all that DrKonqi really does is starting and stopping the crashed process via signals, and spawning a debugger with the necessary arguments for it to connect to the target process.
>
>> i.e. the crashing program, Dr Konqi and kdeinit4.  That's the silly thing
>> about this situation.  OS X won't let Dr K set privileges it already has.
>
> Without having really looked at the code, have you tried NOT doing that (possibly after checking whether it has the required privileges)?

I did, but the KDE ReviewBoard jockeys pooh-poohed that.  In the end I modified
KCrash not to attempt to use kdeinit4 to start Dr K in Apple OS X.

I really am very weary of that whole business and I especially do not wish to
discuss it on Christmas Day, which is just over 2 hours away ATM in Australia.

Merry Christmas,
Ian W.