MacPorts Participation in GSoC 2014

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Tue Feb 4 11:30:03 PST 2014

Google has once again announced their Google Summer of Code for 2014.
They have begun accepting mentoring organizations since February 3,
continuing until February 14. In GSoC students get money to work for an
open source project over the summer. MacPorts has participated since
2007 with good results (13 successful tasks out of 16 total) [1].

Any ideas you want to see implemented?

Would you like to mentor a project?

Coming up with ideas has always been part of the application for a
Mentoring Organization [2]: edit the wiki with your additions!

Students applying to GSoC may be starting college without any degree
yet. Therefore it's better for us to offer easier tasks to attract more
students as the slot count for our tasks assigned by Google is
influenced by the number of applications. Of course easier tasks are
also less prone to fail.

Over the years, most of the tasks marked with an easy to medium
challenge level have been implemented.

Also, it is now our policy that GSoC additions to MacPorts’ base
are migrated to trunk and into a release. Prior to this change,
almost no work has happened on the GUI or MacPorts
Web App outside of the Summer of Code tasks.

The wiki has the remainder of the questions and answers
from last year [3].

 1 https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeArchive
 2 http://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCode#Tasks
 3 http://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeOrgApplication