How to seamlessly switch from a standard MacPorts install to trunk?

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Feb 10 03:01:44 PST 2014

Hi,

> I would like to try MacPorts’ current trunk version.
>
> How do I do this seamlessly, i.e. is it necessary to reinstall MacPorts from
> scratch, or can I somehow manage to keep all installed ports in place while
> just switching from my existing installation to trunk??

You can just install trunk right over your old installation – that's what selfupdate would do when the new version is released anyway. Note that selfupdate will no longer do anything once you installed trunk. If you want to update your MacPorts installation you need to svn up your working copy of trunk and run the install process again.

If you want to go back to the released version sudo port -f selfupate will do that. That's currently possible without problems, because the database layout hasn't changed. As soon as it does, going back might break stuff.

--
Clemens Lang