Python 3.4 support for ports

Peter Danecek Peter.Danecek at bo.ingv.it
Tue Feb 11 09:44:48 PST 2014

Hi all,

This note is mainly for maintainers of Python packages.

I realise that only very little python packages currently enable 3.4 support (only 31 py34 subports compared to 260 py32 subports and 243 py33 subports), probably because Python 3.4 was development so far and maintainers did not want to support it.

However, now that the first release candidate is out and the final release 3.4 is scheduled for March 16, 2014 (http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0429/), it might be the right time to start supporting Python 3.4 where appropriate and to get ports tested for Python 3.4 release. I personally started for my ports, but hit against missing dependencies. These probably should be addressed by their maintainers. But before filing a whole set of tickets, I would like to invite maintainers of python ports to consider enabling python34 independently.

Thanks!
~petr