pip2port

Jeremy Lavergne jeremy at lavergne.gotdns.org
Thu Feb 27 10:45:04 PST 2014

The goal of pip2port is to generate a Portfile for a give Python package. MacPorts learns about packages from Portfiles, and makes them available by following commands and variables contained in them. Portfile development is covered in the guide:
http://guide.macports.org/#development

Once you understand what all goes into the Portfiles, you can see how the skeleton Portfile generator works:
http://trac.macports.org/browser/contrib/portfile-gen/portfile-gen

pip2port would go even further than this skeleton.

Most skeleton “replaceme” values can be found in the setup script included in most python packages:
http://docs.python.org/2/distutils/setupscript.html

Similarly, you’ll be able to pull out some python version dependency as well as module dependencies. You’ll want to get to know the Python PortGroup (effectively an include used in Portfiles) to see what options are available for handling various nuances in Python packages.

pip2port should complete the majority of a Portfile for the majority of Python packages.