An introduction from a hopeful GSOC participant

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Fri Feb 28 02:31:17 PST 2014

Hi Kyle,

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 04:17:38PM -0800, Kyle Sammons wrote:
> Sorry to be a bit tardy-to-the-GSOC-party, but it got pretty busy up
> here this week. Anywho, I read on the wiki that it'd probably be a
> good idea to introduce myself here, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Don't worry, you're not too late -- there's still a lot of time until
the applications are due.

> Unfortunately, I haven't personally used the program, as a friend
> convinced me to use homebrew at the last second. However, when I saw
> that this was a GSOC project for this year, I just had to jump at the
> opportunity.

Well, welcome to the dark side that's going "to drive you to drink",
then. Feel free to try whether this claim holds true for your experience
with MacPorts and us. ;)

> I've looked over the list of ideas and came up with an idea for a
> project that is a bit of a hodgepodge of ideas from the wiki that all
> seemed like they'd go well together, with a bit of my own spin on it.
> I'm hoping to talk it over with a mentor, or someone who's more
> knowledgeable about this than me, so I can really solidify this plan
> before I officially submit it.

Sure, you can reply to the mailing list, if you want; if you'd rather
keep your proposal private at this point, you can reply to the others
I've cc'd  on this mail and me. I'm sure we can give you some feedback
on your ideas and answer any questions you might have.

> Alrighty, I believe that should cover it all. I'll make sure to hop
> onto IRC soon (though I've already informally introduced myself
> there), and hopefully I'll see some of you there! :)

You definitely will, yes.
https://trac.macports.org/wiki/MacPortsDevelopers has a mapping from
MacPorts handle to IRC nicks, if any, because that can sometimes be a
little surprising.

Looking forward to hearing from you :)

--
Clemens Lang