Any objections to removal of the carbon variant in py-wxpython-2.8?

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Jan 17 08:23:04 PST 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 3:14 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Jan 15, 2014, at 19:57, Eric Gallager wrote:

>>> Yes but would it be a problem for you to use the +gtk variant instead? If so please explain.
>>
>> No, just that I prefer it and currently use it... I could probably do without it though.
>
> Why do you prefer it? In what way is the carbon variant different from the gtk variant?

I wasn't asked, but it's not difficult to imagine that users prefer
the native GUI to X11 (while almost nobody cares if the app is 32-bit
as long as that doesn't mean recompiling half of macports packages for
several hours).

Anyway, taking Eric's point into account, I decided to leave the
+carbon variant (it doesn't hurt to have it if users want to use it
for some reason), but to switch to +gtk as default even on 10.6 and to
not actively support the +carbon variant in ports that depend on
wxPython 2.8. Those users who really want to use Carbon-based wxPython
will have to deal with problems related to that on their own. (If I
try to use gtk2/3 +quartz, the majority of the ports doesn't work
either.)

That's enough to allow a reasonably simple and painless way of fixing
ports that depend on wxPython.

Also, if anyone has sufficient motivation to try to figure out how to
make GTK-based wxWidgets work with +quartz to avoid X11, I'm willing
to backport any future changes from trunk to 2.8.12.

Mojca