LaTeXML Portfile issues

Bruce Miller bruce.miller at nist.gov
Fri Jul 4 04:15:18 PDT 2014

Hi all;
   I'd like to draw attention to the ticket
     https://trac.macports.org/ticket/44220
where there are a couple of issues to improve
the Portfile.

Basically, during installation, I'd like to
be able to detect whether there is _any_
TeX installation available (whether MacPort's
own texlive, or MacTeX or _any_ other TeX).
This allows LaTeXML to install it's own style
files into the TeX distribution.  I attempted
to do this by looking for "kpsewhich",
but it turns out that the user's $PATH is not
visible within port.  Is there any approved
way to do this?

I fixed (I think) the post-activate to attempt
to run mktexlsr more safely, using
   { catch { exec "mktexlsr" } }
instead of
   { system "mktexlsr" }
Is that reasonable? (I'm not a TCL programmer,
but it seems to work)

After doing that, it revealed the old
perl version path problem. Namely, the executables
were installed into /opt/local/libexec/perl5.16/sitebin,
which is not in the typical user's path.  I "fixed"
that by making symlinks from /opt/local/bin to the
installed locations.  Is that acceptable, or
is there a better way to achieve the same effect?

Namely, LaTeXML is an _application_; the user doesn't
care that it's written in Perl (and in fact it works
on all perl versions from 5.8.5 through 5.20 RC1).
Likewise, I don't particularly care where the executables
are installed, so long as they end up visible in $PATH
either by putting them in a standard place or automatically
modifying $PATH.

That is to say, it seems reasonable that a user ought
to be able to run
   sudo port install SomeApplication
and immediately be able to run
   SomeApplication