An update on my GSoC project, and some questions.

Kyle Sammons goodkingkyle at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 12:26:01 PDT 2014

Hey everybody,

I'm Kyle, and I'm another Google Summer of Code student. My project is
titled 'Clean-up Stuff', and I've made some pretty good progress on it.
As it stands now I am currently approximately 50% done with the project,
so I figured I give everyone here a heads-up on how it's been going.

Major updates:
     - Completely implemented a new command (port reclaim) which deletes
all distfiles (and empty directory trees) that are not needed by any
installed ports, as well as uninstalling all inactive applications, in
an attempt to reclaim some space. It also warns the user every two weeks
that goes by without running 'reclaim' at least once

     - Partially implemented another new command "port doctor" which
should act similarly to "brew doctor" in that it checks for basic issues
in the users environment and then attempts to fix them. Currently it
only checks for $PATH issues and issues involving the currently
installed version of Xcode. Further more, I've added a config
file/config-file-parser to allow the user to edit things that are unique
to their environment, so that we don't have to support everything under
the sun. For instance, if they use Zsh, rather than Bash, they can
simply go into the config file and change what file to write to (i.e.,
~/.bash_profile, ~/.profile, or what-have-you), rather than us having to
support someone having Zsh rather than Bash. I've also added a
config-file for the Xcode versions, so that if a new Xcdoe version comes
out, we can simply update the config file and not worry about that
breaking the code.

Minor updates:
     - Updated a bit of code in "port clean". More to come soonish.

Known bugs/issues:
     - Currently does not reload whatever file you choose to change your
$PATH with (i.e., using the command "source .bash_profile"), because of
a miscommunication on my part. It should be fixed rather soon.

Alright, so there are all the major updates that you guys should know
about. If you'd like to check out the lastest-and-greatest code, or see
all of my commits, you're more than welcome to view them on my GitHub
(https://www.github.com/centip3de/GSoC). Moving on to the questions I had:

Questions:
     - What checks would you guys like to see in the new doctor command?
Like I said, currently it only checks for a broken $PATH and the
currently installed Xcode version, so I'm looking for more ideas on what
to implement.

     - How's my code? Is there anything I could be doing better?
Anything you'd like me to change? Even if it's as small as a change to a
comment, I'd be more than happy to change that. (Note: I've also
uploaded all my code to the SVN repo on the branch gsoc14-cleanup, if
you'd prefer to view it there).

     - Is there anything you'd like for me to implement in the reclaim
command that isn't there as well? The goal of the reclaim command is to
free up some space, so if I'm missing anywhere that I can free up some
more space for the user, I'd happily implement that for ya!

And I believe that's all my questions. If I missed anything, or I didn't
elaborate enough on something, feel free to give me a ping!

Thanks,
Kyle

IRC: centip3de
Email: ksammons at macports.org