[122078] trunk/dports/net/impacket/Portfile

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 17 16:23:35 PDT 2014

On Jul 17, 2014, at 3:25 PM, Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:

> On 14/lug/2014, at 10:47, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> It is syntactically acceptable to not list a license version, but that means that any license version is acceptable. The LICENSE file in the impacket 0.9.11 tarball described the Apache license version 1.1 so I assumed that was the version it's actually licensed under.
>
> Aha, so I can add version numbers to all licenses that have it? I was under impression that we were using it for GPL only.

Yes, add license versions wherever possible. We are indicating the version of lots of licenses in MacPorts. A quick survey shows we've been doing this for gpl, lgpl, apache, php, mpl, gfdl, zpl, artistic, and other licenses.

We omit any ".0" suffix, so if a project is under the Apache license version 2.0, write "Apache-2". Note this does not mean any version 2.x; we don't have a notation for that. It also doesn't mean any version 2 or later; our notation for that is "2+".

Some licenses, like the MIT license, don't have versions; there's only one.

There is one exception to indicating license versions, which is the BSD license, since they don't call them "version 1", "version 2", "version 3", but rather "4-clause", "3-clause", "2-clause". In MacPorts, license "BSD" means the newer 3-clause or 2-clause license whereas "BSD-old" means the older 4-clause license with the undesirable advertising clause.